Monday, January 30, 2017

“Thank you” is not enough

A few weeks ago I made a very personal, and very public announcement- that I had lost my wife to cancer a few days before Christmas. I debated how to share the news, especially since we had largely kept it quiet- she was as private a person as I am public. I decided to share the news on Twitter and Facebook, and the response was overwhelming. Literally overwhelming. The outpouring of love and support I received was humbling and deeply moving. It made me want to be a better person (although a dear friend cautioned me against making any rash decisions).
The words “thank you” are not enough, especially tossed out here on my neglected blog, but it is a start. Thank you- to friends old and new, acquaintances, and complete strangers. I am truly humbled by your support.
For those who had not heard the news or our story, my wife and I met when she was 14 and I was 15, we started dating a few months later and never stopped. Below is a photo of us from 1976 (and yes, it is one of the last known photos of me without a beard).
FallFormal1976-1

2016 was a rough year for many of us and 2017 is presenting us with new challenges, but (forgive my optimism) together we can make things suck less, personally and professionally.
For me 2017 is about friends old, new, and as yet unmet. I still love technology, I love abusing technology and solving problems with technology, but this year is about people. I’ll be at most of the usual events, and a lot of smaller ones, all around the world. If our paths cross please find me, say hello, maybe share coffee or a cocktail and conversation.
I was recently at Shmoocon, it is an event I have always enjoyed and this year it was especially good to reconnect with the Shmoocon crowd as I started my return to being active and engaged on the road. I’ll be at BSides San Francisco and RSA in a couple of weeks, after that I’m regrouping before hitting the road again, but more on that later.
Thank you
Jack


from “Thank you” is not enough

No comments:

Post a Comment